Automate Your Franchise – Podcast Archives
In my previous life, I was the host of The Automate Your Franchise Podcast, a podcast focused on helping franchise owners systematize and automate their business so that it could thrive without them. After a few months of the show, I soon realized that I was helping more than just franchise owners which caused the creation of The Business Owner’s Freedom Formula Show.
With that being said, the content is still relevant and the interviews are still rocking! Check out all of our episodes via the link below to archive.org.
- The Freedom Formula Mastermind for Business Owners – Apply Today!
- [Free Guide] – How to Pivot When You’ve Plateaued: The 6 Mistakes You MUST Avoid Before You Break Through
Whether you’re a solopreneur just starting on your entrepreneurial venture or a seasoned veteran with multiple businesses and your fairshare of employees, your business needs to be built like a franchise. When we started Automate Your Franchise, we were looking to help the service-based franchise owner. Many service-based franchises have perfected and systematized the deliverable of their service, whether it’s a cleaning business or a tutoring business. However, many of these franchises lack the systems when it comes to actually running the business. Voila! Automate Your Franchise was born. By automating your business, you are building it like a franchise…putting the right people, processes and systems in place so that you can finally take your business to the next level.
We soon found that our tried and true principles can not only help the service-based franchise owner but many small businesses. So what does it mean to build your business like a franchise? No matter what you are selling, it is important to systematize everything. Yes, everything…all the way down to how you communicate with your customers. When you systematize everything, it eliminates the margin for error and allows you to finally scale your business.
So why is this important? So your business can thrive WITHOUT YOU! If your business cannot thrive without you, you really just own a job…that probably pays much less and has much more risk then that cushy 9-5 you might have left. When your business can thrive without you, it allows you to spend time working ON your business as well as enjoy the freedom you desired when starting your entrepreneurial venture. With everything systematized, you’ll be well protected when your best worker quits and you won’t have to worry about a steep learning curve when you expand your team.
Just in case you don’t have time to listen to the podcast, here are the Top 6 Ways that you can begin building your business like a franchise. Along with these 6 ways, we have also created a 6-Step Checklist (see below) for you to follow along as you begin your automation journey.
- Start With The End in Mind – Envision your business 2-3 years down the road when it’s fully automated and running without you. What type of people, processes and systems are in place? What is your role? Are you finally enjoying vacations and family-time without always checking your phone? Sweet! Now starting from 2-3 years down the road, work your way backwards in 3 month increments and set up quarterly goals. Within each quarter, make sure everything you are working on is getting you one step closer to that end goal.
- Systematize EVERY Task – As we said before, no matter the task, systematize it! Take the extra few minutes and do each task the best you can in a repeatable, efficient way. When doing this, always be asking yourself, “would this be easy for someone else to learn if I gave them the right training and support?” Or do you always just “wing it”? Stop winging it!
- Create a Standard Operating Procedures Manual – This is going to be your “how to” manual for dummies. Going forward, every time you do a task, document every little detail. By starting this now, you won’t have to spend as much time training your newly expanding team. When you bring on a new hire, you can simply provide them this SOP manual and they can learn on their own pace while freeing up your time.
- Create Training Videos – Much like the SOP manual, begin to create a training video for every task. If it’s a manual task, get out your smartphone and record how to do this task. It doesn’t have to be fancy, it just has to be functional. If you have any task that’s done on the computer, invest in a screen recording software, like Camtasia (no affiliate), and begin recording every process. These training videos will make it much easier for you to hire new employees and not have to worry about if they are doing it right. They can watch these videos on their own pace, feel more comfortable and learn quicker.
- Hire & Trust Your Team – Now that you have all of your systems in place, it will be much easier to hire (and trust) new employees. By inserting them into a rockin’ system, they have no way to not succeed. If you set expectations and build a culture of accountability, they’ll fit right in. Just be sure to provide them the tools and support they need to succeed. Avoid putting them on an island!
- Stop Doing the Day-to-Day Work – Whatever your business is selling (service, brick & mortar, etc.), stop doing it. It’s time to stop working IN your business so you can stop working ON your business. If you look at the very successful franchises, the owners are absent. The businesses thrives without them IN the business and it becomes a passive income stream. Meanwhile, you can lead the organization and take it to unforeseen heights!
Hopefully these 6 steps get you thinking like a big, bad franchisor so you can finally capitalize on the full potential of your business.